Filtering the web so you don’t have to for January 3rd 2010 through January 7th 2010:
- Microsoft at International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) 2010 Virtual Pressroom –
- The Shorty Awards – The best producers of real-time, short form content on Twitter –
- From Twitter – RT @thurrott Exclusive! Microsoft To Announce Tablet PC Before Apple! .. http://bit.ly/6vInEd.
- February 2010: Vanessa Grigoriadis on Twitter | vanityfair.com –
- Sooner or Later, Facebook Will Launch Its Own Phone – The Steve Rubel Lifestream –
Adapted from photo by Mat Honan Change happens slowly. It took us years before we noticed that Microsoft was slowly upending a tech industry that, until the 1990s, IBM dominated. However, if you squinted you saw this starting in the 1970s once the mainframe era ended. Then Google changed the game for Microsoft (a client) in the 2000s when the desktop lost some of its dominance – but like with IBM this shift started earlier, back in the 1990s. Now, it could happen again. Just as eve.. show all text
- Nobody Has A Million Twitter Followers – Anil Dash –
Last week, I wrote a bit about what it's like to be on Twitter's suggested user list. The response to that post has been really gratifying, and I wanted to share a bit of what I've learned, as well some of the more interesting responses.
First, to recap: I had about 18,000 followers of my own back in October, when I got added to the suggested user list. (Let's call these "organic" followers.) If I'd have continued my normal rate of growth, i'd have about 25,000 followers today, but thanks to b.. show all text
- Foursquare Goes Global: Now You Can Check in From Anywhere –
We knew this move was coming, but it doesn’t make it any less monumental for the rapidly rising location-based industry. Foursquare is no longer restricted to specific cities. Now, you can check in anywhere.
According to a report by CNET, the social location service now offers you the ability to check in anywhere from your mobile phone. This is in contrast to the previous system, where you chose your specific city if it wasn’t auto-detected. Smaller towns and cities in this system were left.. show all text
- Nexus One Phone-Web meets phone. –
- Google Android Press Gathering on USTREAM: We are broadcasting Live from building43 on Google’s campus. At the Google Android Press Gathering.. Gadgets –
- MediaBrowser Firestorm Brings Performance, Stability and Features – The latest iteration, Firestorm, adds even more features to the mix including a vastly faster user experience as well as increased stability over previous versions. For new Media Center enthusiasts Firestorm offers the perfect timing to try Media Browser for the first time.
- Uncovering Windows 7’s ‘GodMode’ – Although its name suggests perhaps even grander capabilities, Windows enthusiasts are excited over the discovery of a hidden "GodMode" feature that lets users access all of the operating system's control panels from within a single folder.
- Ping.fm / Update all of your social networks at once! –
- The Digital Media Zone » CES 2010 –
- mass evac at EWR sent by pal. security breach sends everybody… on Twitpic –
- 10 things you need to stop tweeting about – The Oatmeal –
- ‘Avatar’ reaches $1 billion worldwide – Movies- msnbc.com –
James Cameron’s science-fiction epic “Avatar” had another stellar weekend with $68.3 million domestically, shooting past $1 billion worldwide, only the fifth movie ever to hit that mark.
- Affiliate Marketing Undervalues The Link –
Two days I posted about Gretchen Rubin's new book, The Happiness Project . When I linked to the book in the original post (and here too), I included an amazon affiliate code.
And here is the data two days later: So, in two days, that blog post generated 535 views of the Amazon page and 40 purchases. The affiliate fees associated with those 40 purchases add up to $6.50.
But those 535 views are pretty valuable. Those 535 clicks translated into a total of 118 orders in the past two days, includ.. show all text