Tech news – August 18th 2012 to August 27th 2012:
- From Twitter – You should read @nrek 's experiences with the non-tech public and their reaction to Samsung/Apple results, http://t.co/BgzYqMde
- One Month After Selling To Microsoft For $1.2B, Yammer CEO Predicts End Of Silicon Valley | TechCrunch –
– Alexia TsotsisThere is a pretty fascinating debate happening right now on David Sacks’ Facebook page. Exactly one month after the Yammer sale to Microsoft closed, Sacks is feeling pretty bearish about the startup ecosystem.
“I think Silicon Valley as we know it may be coming to an end …,” Sacks posts, arguing mainly that because major Internet companies (like um, Microsoft?) are on the prowl for innovative ideas, it’s too risky and costly for entrepreneurs to attempt to create successful new companies.
“How … show all text
- Republican Senate Nominee: Victims Of ‘Legitimate Rape’ Don’t Get Pregnant | TPM2012 –
– Evan McMorris-SantoroRep. Todd Akin, the Republican nominee for Senate in Missouri who is running against Sen. Claire McCaskill, justified his opposition to abortion rights even in case of rape with a claim that victims of "legitimate rape" have unnamed biological defenses that prevent pregnancy.
"First of all, from what I understand from doctors [pregnancy from rape] is really rare," Akin told KTVI-TV in an interview posted Sunday. "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing show all text
- Be More Productive. Take Time Off. –
– By JASON FRIEDTake a tip from the seasons and introduce change into the workplace.
- New Wave of Deft Robots Is Changing Global Industry –
– By JOHN MARKOFFRobots far more adept than those now commonly used by automakers and other industries are replacing workers in both manufacturing and distribution.
- Feast Your Ears On Fresh Jams From Musicians You Love At Hipset Via YC’s Tracks.by | TechCrunch –
– Josh ConstineHipset is a music discovery site launching today from Y Combinator’s Tracks.by that makes sure you never miss the hot new songs, videos, and other content from the artists you Like on Facebook — updates which the social network might not show in your feed.
If launched on its own, Hipset would just be a fun site for listeners. But while disarmingly simple, it’s the culmination of Tracks.by’s year-long master plan to shake up the music marketing industry. Here’s how Hipset is going to rock you.
T… show all text
- A Good Place to Work // ben’s blog –
– Ben HorowitzIt’s just another mutherf*ckin’ day for Dre, so I begin like this No medallions, dreadlocks, or black fists Just that gangsta glare with the gangsta raps —Dr. Dre, Let Me Ride
At Opsware I used to teach a management expectations course because I deeply believed in training. In it, I made it clear that I expected every manager to meet with her people on a regular basis. I even gave instructions on how to conduct a 1:1 meeting so there could be no excuses.
Then one day while I happily went about… show all text
- DEAR FACEBOOK EMPLOYEES: Here’s The Truth About Your Stock Price – Business Insider –
- Harvard cracks DNA storage, crams 700 terabytes of data into a single gram | ExtremeTech –
A bioengineer and geneticist at Harvard's Wyss Institute have successfully stored 5.5 petabits of data — around 700 terabytes — …
- How I Got My Digital Life Back Again After An Epic Hacking | Gadget Lab | Wired.com –