I could do a post on all the tips and things I am learning about Google Plus but, especially since this is a brand new service, they are coming in way too fast. For now you can see my ever expanding list via my shared Evernote Notebook at the link below:
Sharing my Google+ tips as I collect them here:
If you have any of your own tips, add them in the comments and I’ll update the notebook.
What I’m reading and finding for June 27th 2011 through June 29th 2011:
What I’m reading and finding for June 25th 2011 through June 27th 2011:
- HTML5 Boilerplate – A rock-solid default template for HTML5 awesome.
- Humans TXT: We Are People, Not Machines. – It’s an initiative for knowing the people behind a website. It’s a TXT file that contains information about the different people who have contributed to building the website.
- TSA stands by officers after pat-down of elderly woman in Florida – CNN.com –
The Transportation Security Administration stood by its security officers Sunday after a Florida woman complained that her cancer-stricken, 95-year-old mother was patted down and forced to remove her adult diaper while going through security.
- Got Twitter? You’ve Been Scored –
Companies are scouring social networks, looking for the new “influencers.”
- Skype’s Worthless Employee Stock Option Plan: Here’s Why They Did It –
Skype is being criticized for terminating employees immediately prior to the closing of the Microsoft acquisition, and people are assuming they’re doing this to keep the value of those employees stock options. Skype’s response boils down to saying that the employees were fired because they weren’t good employees, and that the value of the stock is negligible and didn’t affect the decision making process.
Ok. But it gets worse.
Employees aren’t even able to keep the vested portion of their stock… show all text
- From Twitter – RT @thurrott Some conclusions from the Sinofsky D9 talk. http://bit.ly/kcUMsW / Nice summary of what is known so far about Windows 8
- yfrog Photo : http://yfrog.com/ked8jqrj Shared by thinkprogress –
- Foursquare Closes $50M at a $600M Valuation –
Foursquare has just closed one of the most secretive rounds of venture capital TechCrunch has seen.
The company is raising $50 million, and all of it will go towards building out the company, no secondary sales here. The valuation had been rumored to be as high as $1 billion, but our sources say it settled out at $550 million pre-money, $600 million post.
Part of that is because the round was mostly done by insiders. Leading it was Andreessen Horowitz, still the only major Valley firm invested … show all text
What I’m reading and finding for June 23rd 2011 through June 24th 2011:
- From Twitter – RT @zenchaos Google kills Google PowerMeter, here is how to export your data http://bit.ly/kwye3G
- From Twitter – RT @peasap Why JK Rowling’s Pottermore will frighten traditional publishers and rightly so http://t.co/YMwDLUH
- Evan Williams | evhead: Five Reasons Domains Are Getting Less Important –
While discussing possible names for a product recently, someone asked me if we were at the point where getting the perfect domain name was less important than it used to be. While I’m still a sucker for a clean .com, it does seem less important, and it will continue to become less important, for at least five reasons: 1) GoogleThere was as time when you knew your friend’s and family member’s phone numbers. There may have been a time when you knew the addresses of people you emailed a lot. And … show all text
- LulzSec leaks Arizona law enforcement papers (Updated with excerpts) – Boing Boing –
LulzSec just now announced a trove of leaked material it claims is from Arizona law enforcement agencies, made available as a 446MB torrent.
We are releasing hundreds of private intelligence bulletins, training manuals, personal email correspondence, names, phone numbers, addresses and passwords belonging to Arizona law enforcement. We are targeting AZDPS specifically because we are against SB1070 and the racial profiling anti-immigrant police state that is Arizona. The documents classified as… show all text
- From Twitter – http://tinyurl.com/5tlsy67 Amazon boosts Prime Instant Video streaming with more than 1,000 new TV shows, movies
- Kind of Screwed – Waxy.org –
TL;DR version: Last year, I was threatened with a lawsuit over the pixel art album cover for Kind of Bloop. Despite my firm belief that I was legally in the right, I settled out of court to cut my losses. This ordeal was very nerve-wracking for me and my family, and I’ve had trouble writing about it publicly until now.
Still want the full story? Read on.
(Note: This post was reviewed by both my and Jay Maisel’s legal counsel.)
The Long Version
Remember Kind of Bloop, the chiptune tribute to M… show all text
- From Twitter – http://tinyurl.com/5tvvyez Winklevoss Twins Throw in the Towel, Will Make Do with Paltry $65 Million Settlement
Recently Twitter has hidden their RSS feeds. You used to be able to find them right on a user’s page. They are still there and I have read the most convoluted ways to find them. It is REALLY easy.
Want yours or someone else’s statuses? Here is the feed, just replace the X’s with the user twitter name:
Want a feed of favorites?
That’s it. Just put the feed in your favorite feed reader and you are done.
If you want your Facebook RSS, read this.
UPDATE: 04DEC2012 – Twitter broke every thing recently. Thankfully there is a new method. Similar to the above, just use these links instead:
https://api.twitter.com/1/favorites.rss?screen_name=XXXXXXXXXX%5Bgallery size=half columns=1]
What I’m reading and finding for June 21st 2011 through June 22nd 2011:
- PopCap Games To Be Acquired For $1 Billion+ –
Huge news in the gaming world: PopCap Games, the company behind such hits as Plants vs Zombies and Bejeweled, is in the process of being acquired — and we’re hearing from multiple sources that the price is over $1 billion.
The question now is who the buyer is. The obvious possibility is Zynga, which has made a string of game-related acquisitions over the last year. But we’re hearing they’re out. Our sources say that Zynga did indeed kick the tires hard on a potential acquisition, but it looks l… show all text
- My Life as an Undocumented Immigrant –
A reporter talks about his illegal American dream.
- From Twitter – RT @latimestech Yahoo looks into buying Hulu, but is Hulu for sale? http://lat.ms/isVgRo
- Start-Up Lytro Aims to Sharpen Focus of Entire Camera Industry – A Mountain View start-up is promising that its camera, due later this year, will bring the biggest change to photography since the transition from film to digital.
- Upending Anonymity, These Days the Web Unmasks Everyone –
Pervasive social media services, cheap cellphone cameras, free photo and video Web hosts have made privacy all but a thing of the past.
- From Twitter – Wasn’t aware of Apps Script. Cool RT @newsycombinator Building UI in Google Apps Script just got a whole lot easier http://j.mp/j9zjNF
- From Twitter – RT @Techmeme Flickr now Supports OAuth 1.0a (@jfanaian / Code) http://j.mp/mqzu57