What I’m reading and finding for February 27th 2011 through February 28th 2011:
- Revealing the Man Behind @MayorEmanuel – Alexis Madrigal – Technology – The Atlantic –
It was the best fake Twitter account ever, deftly satirizing Rahm Emanuel, and elevating the Tweet and the f-word to the level of literature. But the mystery writer was never revealed–until now. There were many storylines in Rahm Emanuel's romp to the Chicago mayor's office: a powerful presidential aide leaves the White House; a mayor's race without a Daley or even an incumbent; a candidate with a hazy claim on residency; the meltdown of former senator Carol Moseley Braun; the terrible voter.. show all text
- Sprouter –
- From Twitter – Facebook plans to resume address, phone sharing http://j.mp/gcpUQc
- From Twitter – RT @Drudge_Report GMAIL Glitch Wipes Out 150,000 Accounts… http://drudge.tw/eTPqbw
- From Twitter – RT @gcluley SSDs, encryption and decommissioning. What steps do you need to take when decommissioning an SSD? http://bit.ly/dWs2ta
- How Chris Sacca And J.P. Morgan Acquired 10% Of Twitter Via Huge Secret Secondary Fund –
Lots and lots of buzz today in all the major newspapers about how J.P. Morgan is trying to buy 10% or so of Twitter for $450 million.
As far as I can tell, all of the stories are wrong. In particular, say my sources, Twitter isn’t negotiating with anyone – J.P. Morgan or otherwise – about a new funding round. The last round with Kleiner Perkins seems to have more than satisfied their near term capital appetite. Also, J.P. Morgan isn’t currently trying to buy Twitter shar.. show all text
- Gmail accidentally resetting accounts, years of correspondence vanish into the cloud? — Engadget –
If you've got a working Gmail account, you might want to back it up every so often — as many as 500,000 Gmail users lost access to their inboxes this morn, and some of them are reporting (via Twitter and support forums) that years worth of messages, attachments and Google Chat logs had vanished by the time they were finally able to log on. While we haven't experienced the issue personally, we're hearing that the bug effectively reset some accounts, treating their owners as new users complete w.. show all text
What I’m reading and finding for February 26th 2011 through February 27th 2011:
- Brief Thoughts on Angel List, "Social Proof", "Spray & Pray", & The Network Effects of Large Scale Investing – Master of 500 Hats –
(ok folks, i've gotta take the kids to basketball practice in a few hours, so will try to power through this — that means limited crazy fonts, profanity, wild pix… sorry little monsters, next time 😉
3 major points i plan to cover in this post:
1) Angel List Fucking Rocks. Period. it's the single greatest innovation in our industry in the last 5 years (aside from LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, & Quora) and it's great for almost all participants. and while social proof can be abused /.. show all text
- Unfit for Democracy? –
Don’t tell people dying for freedom in the Arab world that they’re not ready for it.
- How One Startup Will Prioritize Your Social Inbox & Personalize the Web – Facebook’s news feed, Twitter’s update stream, and a barrage of RSS feeds can be a lot to manage, and My6Sense has built a business around helping its users sort out the most important information from the rest of the hairball.
- From Twitter – RT @Karoli great piece by @dsearls on why Al Jazeera rocks and the rest of them are missing the boat. http://bit.ly/glTm7F
- What’s The Real Deal With AngelList? –
Editor’s Note: This is a guest post by @msuster (Mark Suster), a 2x entrepreneur, now VC at GRP Partners. His second company was sold this company to Salesforce.com
, where he served as VP of Product Management. Read more about Suster at Bothsidesofthetable.
There’s lots of discussion out there about a new and much-loved service called AngelList that connects entrepreneurs to angel investors.
I was reluctant to write about AngelList because the debate on pros / cons is pretty n.. show all text
- From Twitter – RT @sandiegopchelp Hacker Writes Easy-to-use Mac Trojan http://bit.ly/eDcXVl
- Why I Deleted My AngelList Account –
Yesterday I deleted my AngelList account. Doing so generated a lot of questions on Twitter, in email and from the press so I want to explain myself.
Its a decision I’ve been wrestling with for the last few months as I’ve found the service increasingly not matching my investment philosophy. That’s not to say the service isn’t a valuable one for entrepreneurs or even certain kinds of investors. I believe that it can be. Its just not a fit for me.
For those not fa.. show all text
What I’m reading and finding for February 24th 2011 through February 26th 2011:
- http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2010ltr.pdf –
- Snow Falls on San Francisco After a 35-Year Wait –
Just before midnight, several city neighborhoods, including Twin Peaks, at some 900 feet, reported light snowfall, with the possibility of more on Saturday.
- The Likability of Angry Birds – The Oatmeal –
A graph showing how likable various angry birds are.
- Google Forecloses On Content Farms With “Farmer” Algorithm Update –
In January, Google promised that it would take action against content farms that were gaining top listings with “shallow” or “low-quality” content. Now the company is delivering, announcing a change to its ranking algorithm designed take out such material. New Change Impacts… Please visit Search Engine Land for the full article.
- Google Forecloses On Content Farms With “Farmer” Algorithm Update – In January, Google promised that it would take action against content farms that were gaining top listings with “shallow” or “low-quality” content. Now the company is delivering, announcing a change to its ranking algorithm designed take out such material.
- Official Google Blog: Finding more high-quality sites in search –
Our goal is simple: to give people the most relevant answers to their queries as quickly as possible. This requires constant tuning of our algorithms, as new content—both good and bad—comes online all the time. Many of the changes we make are so subtle that very few people notice them. But in the last day or so we launched a pretty big algorithmic improvement to our ranking—a change that noticeably impacts 11.8% of our queries—and we wanted to let people know what&rsquo.. show all text
- NASA HD-TV on USTREAM: NASA TV airs a variety of regularly scheduled, pre-recorded educational and public relations programming 24 hours a day on its vario… –
Filtering the web so you don’t have to for February 23rd 2011 through February 24th 2011:
- Get Free Chipotle Food for Watching NBC Promo on Facebook –
NBC today is launching a promotion offering free Chipotle food for anyone who watches a 90-second promo on Facebook for the upcoming show America’s Next Great Restaurant.
The network is using an app on the show’s Facebook Page where, in exchange for watching the promo, visitors get a buy-one, get-one-free coupon at Chipotle. The chain’s founder and CEO, Steve Ells, is one of four investors in the show.
Customers who print out the coupon can get a free Chipotle meal, including .. show all text
- From Twitter – RT @kodakCB RT @Kodak_ShootFilm We're excited FDA Approves KODAK Laser Projection Technology! http://bit.ly/hC4FWc
- Disney Acquires Social Network For Kids Togetherville –
Disney has just acquired Togetherville, a social network for kids 10 years of age or younger, we’ve confirmed with the company. Terms of the acquisition are not being disclosed at the moment.
Togetherville, which exited beta last year, mimics the experience of adult social networking sites, i.e. Facebook but in an age-appropriate and parent-monitored environment. Togetherville promises a safer, more secure environment, where parents can moderate who their children are connecting with. Par.. show all text
- DAR.fm Digital Audio Recorder DAR –
- 25 Women-Run Startups to Watch | Fast Company –
Filtering the web so you don’t have to for February 22nd 2011 through February 23rd 2011:
- Cyber-D Software: Cyber-D’s Autodelete 2.24 – Cyber-D's Autodelete can delete old files in a folder (and subfolders) you selected. Simply select the folder you wish to clean (downloads for example), set the rules (older than 30 days since created) and how to delete (move, recycle, secure delete).
- WordPress › WordPress 3.1, lots of fun –
The long-awaited fourteenth release of WordPress is now available. WordPress 3.1 “Reinhardt” is named in honor of the jazz guitarist Django Reinhardt. Version 3.1 is available for download, or you can update from within your dashboard.
This release features a lightning fast redesigned linking workflow which makes it easy to link to your existing posts and pages, an admin bar so you’re never more than a click away from your most-used dashboard pages, a streamline.. show all text
- From Twitter – RT @timoreilly RT @dannysullivan awesome mega chart of amazon v netflix v hulu offerings from @clicker http://bit.ly/eDrfmO
- Twitter Puts the Smack Down on Another Popular App: Whither Twitter as a Platform? –
This morning TwapperKeeper, the Twitter-based service that allowed users to create and export archives of Tweets around certain words or hashtags, announced that it would be shutting down a number of key features of the service to remain in compliance with Twitter's Terms of Service.
According to the company's blog post, the archiving and API features will be shut down by March 20. While TwapperKeeper may be just one service among many to be forced into compliance, is its fate indicative of a l.. show all text
- Square – Pricing –
Filtering the web so you don’t have to for February 21st 2011 through February 22nd 2011:
Filtering the web so you don’t have to for February 19th 2011 through February 20th 2011:
- ÜberSocial Download –
- Google May Kill Chrome URL Bar | ConceivablyTech –
Google is working on a "major" overhaul of its Chrome browser user interface (UI). Among the options on the table is the elimination of the URL bar, which could be the most significant UI change to the web browser since its invention. Another feature that appears to be already signed off is the support of multiple user profiles that can be used in parallel.
- Paul Miller And The Five Rules Of Stunt Resignation –
On Friday afternoon, Paul J. Miller caused what passes for a kerfuffle inside the technology journalism meta-bubble.
Miller, as you know, is “Senior Associate Editor” at our estranged sister site Engadget – or at least he was until yesterday when he posted a resignation note on his blog. The reason for his leaving? The Aol Way.
You’ve already read the document: Tim Armstong and David Eun’s 58-page death warrant for journalists and the practice of journalism at Aol… show all text
- Twitter Isn’t Journalism, Or Is It? Perhaps It’s the Wrong Question Brian Solis –
I was asked to enter the Bloomberg BusinessWeek Debate Room to make the case “for” Twitter as a platform for journalism. On the other side, ScribbleLive CEO Michael De Monte debates why it is “for the birds.”
But before we get to far into the discussion, let’s frame the discussion. The original debate topic posed by BusinessWeek, “Twitter Isn’t Journalism, Or Is It?” is a bit misleading and honestly, I think it’s the wrong question to .. show all text
- Gillmor Gang 2.19.11 (TCTV) –
The Gillmor Gang conflated two major stories this week into one: Apple’s terms of service for app store approval, and Twitter’s actions regarding UberMedia. The noise regarding Apple being hauled in front of the DOJ illustrates just how powerful Apple’s strategy continues to be. As many point out, Android’s market share makes it virtually impossible to tar iOS with monopoly status. It’s almost as though Erick and Steve planned it that way, right down to Google foll.. show all text