Filtering the web so you don’t have to for August 30th 2010 through August 31st 2010:
Filtering the web so you don’t have to for August 30th 2010
- From Twitter – RT @edbott latest @ZDNet How much will a Windows 7 migration really cost? A closer look at Gartner's numbers http://zd.net/d2QZGg
- How CEOs Will Use Social Media in the Future –
This series is supported by Gist. Gist provides a full view of the contacts in your professional network by creating a rich business profile for each one that includes the most news, status updates, and work details. See how it works here. Today’s CEO is not social. So says Forrester Research’s CEO George Colony. Very few of the CEOs at top companies in the U.S. and the rest of the world have any material presence on the popular social media sites. Colony believes they should be so.. show all text
- From Twitter – Hold down Shift before you click on Compose Mail in Gmail and you'll get a smaller window to write your email in.
- From Twitter – RT @rsarver Awesome Visualizing How a Link Spreads Through the Twitterverse http://t.co/I6QqjUV
- Open-Facebook Competitor Diaspora Sets Sept. 15 Launch Date – Tired of Facebook? Diaspora, an open source competitor, will open its virtual doors on September 15. The site aims to give control of personal data to users, unlike Facebook.
- USB 3.0: Everything You Need to Know – After a lengthy gestation period, the third generation of the Universal Serial Bus is making its way to the market.
Filtering the web so you don’t have to for August 29th 2010 through August 30th 2010:
- A VC: What A CEO Does –
I am posting this as a MBA Mondays post. But I did not learn this little lesson at business school. I learned it from a very experienced venture capitalist early in my post-MBA career.
I was working on a CEO search for one of our struggling portfolio comapnies. We had a bunch of them. I started in the venture capital business just as the PC hardware bubble of the early 80s was busting. Our portfolio was a mess. It was a great time to enter the business. I cleaned up messes for my first few year.. show all text
- Update for Windows 7 provides new functionality and performance improvements for the graphics platform – This article describes an update for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2. This update is a separate package of changes that must be installed in addition to Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. This update provides new functionality and performance improvements for the graphics platform.
- From Twitter – RT @newsycombinator Hacker builds working 1/10th scale Cray 1 http://j.mp/aJgzh8
- From Twitter – via @nickbilton 10 ways data (& data vis) is changing how we live http://bit.ly/bkox8P
- Cisco May Be Making A Run For Skype –
Cisco has made an offer to acquire Skype before they complete their IPO process, says one of our more reliable sources. We have not been able to confirm this rumor one way or another via other sources, which isn’t surprising. A company in lock down during the IPO process is usually even more tight lipped than normal.
But if true this would be one very big acquisition. Skype insiders are hoping for an out of the gate valuation of $5 billion or so, we’ve heard. Presumably Cisco would .. show all text
Filtering the web so you don’t have to for August 29th 2010
- TWiT Live – Netcasts you love, from people you trust –
- The S.L.E. Lupus Foundation, Inc. – TeamLupusLA – Raise money for charity online –
- Bubble Blinders: The Untold Story of the Search Business Model –
Ali Partovi is an angel investor, startup advisor, and serial entrepreneur. He co-founded iLike, acquired by Myspace in 2009, and previously LinkExchange, acquired by Microsoft for $265mm in 1998. His portfolio has included such successes as Zappos, Tellme, Ironport, and Facebook. He was among the first to recognize the importance of the Facebook Platform, and, as this article suggests, also among the earliest to grasp the business opportunity of search.
Earlier this month, Paul Graham wrote a .. show all text
- Foursquare Surpasses 3 Million Users –
Foursquare now has more than 3 million users, if the site’s public user registration numbers are correct.
The 3 millionth member appears to be Brian S. from St. Louis, Missouri, who has yet to check in to any venues via the mobile-based social network.
Foursquare’s growth has been accelerating rapidly lately. The service hit 2.6 million users on August 2, up from 725,000 in March. The launch of Facebook Places, which many thought would bring about the startup’s demise, instead.. show all text
- Windows Home Server Vail Preview: Client and Server Backup Deep Dive –
Filtering the web so you don’t have to for August 27th 2010 through August 28th 2010:
- NASA announces discovery of 2 new planets – NASA has announced the discovery of two planets, slightly smaller than Saturn, orbiting the same star in the Milky Way, which have been discovered by the Kepler Space Telescope.
- How To Hide From Annoying Friends On Facebook Chat – Personally I rarely log on to chat but this could help some of you.
- Too Few Women In Tech? Stop Blaming The Men. Or At Least Stop Blaming Me. –
Success in Silicon Valley, most would agree, is more merit driven than almost any other place in the world. It doesn’t matter how old you are, what sex you are, what politics you support or what color you are. If you idea rocks and you can execute, you can change the world and/or get really, stinking rich.
For the most part I’ve sat on the sidelines over the years during the endless debates about how we need to do more to encourage more women to start companies. What I mean by &ldqu.. show all text
- Gartner: IT shops moving to Windows 7 need a 20 to 60 percent PC budget increase – The analysts at Gartner Inc. are warning that business migrations from Windows XP and Windows 2000 to Windows 7 in the next couple of years could create budgetary and resource burdens on IT shops.
- Silicon Valley’s Dark Secret: It’s All About Age –
An interesting paradox in the technology world is that there is both a shortage and a surplus of engineers in the United States. Talk to those working at any Silicon Valley company, and they will tell you how hard it is to find qualified talent. But listen to the heart-wrenching stories of unemployed engineers, and you will realize that there are tens of thousands who can’t get jobs. What gives?
The harsh reality is that in the tech world, companies prefer to hire young, inexperienced, en.. show all text
- Condé Nast, I’m publicly offering to buy Reddit. | benhuh!com –
This was an email I sent to one of our sites, The Daily What:
Hi TDWers, I’m Ben Huh, and I run the Cheezburger Network (which includes The Daily What, if you were too Prop 19’d to notice). I have made this offer privately to a few people associated with Reddit, and I’ll say it publicly now:
I believe that Reddit is one of the best communities I have seen on the Internet. I also believe that Reddit would benefit from more resources and less corporate interference. We can offer.. show all text
- SecondMarket And StockTwits Team Up To Let You Tweet About Private Company Stock –
StockTwits has built a business out of people tweeting their thoughts and actions around various public stocks. SecondMarket has built a business out of people interested in the buying and selling of various private stocks. It seems only natural to shove the two together. Which is exactly what they’re doing today with a new partnership.
As you may be aware, to send a tweet to StockTwits, you have to append the “$SYMBOL” syntax to your tweet. The same idea will now work with th.. show all text
Filtering the web so you don’t have to for August 26th 2010 through August 27th 2010:
- SXSW 2011 PanelPicker – A Conversation About Social Change Through Social Media –
- Brush Fire Fought Near Grossmont College – San Diego 6 –
- Google Code Blog: An update on JavaOne –
Like many of you, every year we look forward to the workshops, conferences and events related to open source software. In our view, these are among the best ways we can engage the community, by sharing our experiences and learning from yours. So we’re sad to announce that we won't be able to present at JavaOne this year. We wish that we could, but Oracle’s recent lawsuit against Google and open source has made it impossible for us to freely share our thoughts about the future of Jav.. show all text
- Google Buys Angstro As It Furthers Social Strategy –
Google has just bought TechCrunch50 startup Angstro according to a post on the company’s site. The company’s founder, entrepreneur Rohit Khare, has joined Google to work on the company’s social networking product Google Me, according to an L.A. Times report.
Angstro launched in 2008 as a newspaper for people in your professional network. The site skimmed through content across blogs, news sites, and a number of other sources to look for material that is related to the people y.. show all text
- Google buys Angstro and hires founder to help build social networking service | Technology | Los Angeles Times –
Highly respected entrepreneur and Internet researcher Rohit Khare has sold his company Angstro to Google and taken a job at the Internet giant to help build its social networking product Google Me.
He is sitting near Slide’s Max Levchin, who was also recently hired to help lead the effort to counter the exploding popularity of Facebook. Khare made the announcement that he had shut down Angstro and joined Google in a note on his company’s website. Khare has created a number of produ.. show all text
- From Twitter – RT @Lifehacker How to Run Windows, Mac, and Linux Side by Side and Pain-Free with VirtualBox http://bit.ly/cuw5X5
- Inside look at Pentagon’s cyberdefense strategy: The battlefield beyond bad flash drives – Our nation faces risks far greater than a rogue flash drive: Failure to properly safeguard our consumer and industry systems.
- PandaLabs: A Quarter of Worms Spread through USB Devices –
- From Twitter – RT @TheNextWeb Mophie & Intuit partner up to take on Square with mobile payments http://tnw.to/16l2F by @jffcrmr on @TNWapple