Filtering the web so you don’t have to for August 30th 2010 through August 31st 2010:
Filtering the web so you don’t have to for August 30th 2010
- From Twitter – RT @edbott latest @ZDNet How much will a Windows 7 migration really cost? A closer look at Gartner's numbers http://zd.net/d2QZGg
- How CEOs Will Use Social Media in the Future –
This series is supported by Gist. Gist provides a full view of the contacts in your professional network by creating a rich business profile for each one that includes the most news, status updates, and work details. See how it works here. Today’s CEO is not social. So says Forrester Research’s CEO George Colony. Very few of the CEOs at top companies in the U.S. and the rest of the world have any material presence on the popular social media sites. Colony believes they should be so.. show all text
- From Twitter – Hold down Shift before you click on Compose Mail in Gmail and you'll get a smaller window to write your email in.
- From Twitter – RT @rsarver Awesome Visualizing How a Link Spreads Through the Twitterverse http://t.co/I6QqjUV
- Open-Facebook Competitor Diaspora Sets Sept. 15 Launch Date – Tired of Facebook? Diaspora, an open source competitor, will open its virtual doors on September 15. The site aims to give control of personal data to users, unlike Facebook.
- USB 3.0: Everything You Need to Know – After a lengthy gestation period, the third generation of the Universal Serial Bus is making its way to the market.
Filtering the web so you don’t have to for August 29th 2010 through August 30th 2010:
- A VC: What A CEO Does –
I am posting this as a MBA Mondays post. But I did not learn this little lesson at business school. I learned it from a very experienced venture capitalist early in my post-MBA career.
I was working on a CEO search for one of our struggling portfolio comapnies. We had a bunch of them. I started in the venture capital business just as the PC hardware bubble of the early 80s was busting. Our portfolio was a mess. It was a great time to enter the business. I cleaned up messes for my first few year.. show all text
- Update for Windows 7 provides new functionality and performance improvements for the graphics platform – This article describes an update for Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2. This update is a separate package of changes that must be installed in addition to Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2. This update provides new functionality and performance improvements for the graphics platform.
- From Twitter – RT @newsycombinator Hacker builds working 1/10th scale Cray 1 http://j.mp/aJgzh8
- From Twitter – via @nickbilton 10 ways data (& data vis) is changing how we live http://bit.ly/bkox8P
- Cisco May Be Making A Run For Skype –
Cisco has made an offer to acquire Skype before they complete their IPO process, says one of our more reliable sources. We have not been able to confirm this rumor one way or another via other sources, which isn’t surprising. A company in lock down during the IPO process is usually even more tight lipped than normal.
But if true this would be one very big acquisition. Skype insiders are hoping for an out of the gate valuation of $5 billion or so, we’ve heard. Presumably Cisco would .. show all text
Filtering the web so you don’t have to for August 29th 2010
- TWiT Live – Netcasts you love, from people you trust –
- The S.L.E. Lupus Foundation, Inc. – TeamLupusLA – Raise money for charity online –
- Bubble Blinders: The Untold Story of the Search Business Model –
Ali Partovi is an angel investor, startup advisor, and serial entrepreneur. He co-founded iLike, acquired by Myspace in 2009, and previously LinkExchange, acquired by Microsoft for $265mm in 1998. His portfolio has included such successes as Zappos, Tellme, Ironport, and Facebook. He was among the first to recognize the importance of the Facebook Platform, and, as this article suggests, also among the earliest to grasp the business opportunity of search.
Earlier this month, Paul Graham wrote a .. show all text
- Foursquare Surpasses 3 Million Users –
Foursquare now has more than 3 million users, if the site’s public user registration numbers are correct.
The 3 millionth member appears to be Brian S. from St. Louis, Missouri, who has yet to check in to any venues via the mobile-based social network.
Foursquare’s growth has been accelerating rapidly lately. The service hit 2.6 million users on August 2, up from 725,000 in March. The launch of Facebook Places, which many thought would bring about the startup’s demise, instead.. show all text
- Windows Home Server Vail Preview: Client and Server Backup Deep Dive –